Friday, October 29

THE MOUSE FIESTA ROLLS ON


One of the worst things about enduring a mouse infestation is that one continually finds more places they’ve invaded. So it’s a like a long-playing horror movie and I’m stuck in the theater.

Just now I pulled out the big plastic accordion folder in which I keep my recipes only to find that the little buggers have been inside it, turning the edges scalloped! (See the photo.)

I always thought they were looking for food, not paper with pictures of food! Do mice eat paper? Well, I just Googled that question and it turns out, yes, they will chew paper. One site claimed that mice have no bones. What? I know they can get through narrow spaces but no bones? Absurd!

I cleaned out the plastic folder and put several nice big sturdy rubber bands around it to make it at least difficult for them to access.

No more kibble left out for my dog to nibble at will. I had to put away the open cookie jar in which I kept his little treats. Those are now under tight lids, which is not as convenient but necessary. I had been shocked to see that the mice had climbed up onto the microwave perched on top of the fridge to get to the treat jar. That buffet is gone.

Anything that might be something for them to eat has to be sealed behind glass or heavy plastic to keep them out.

I got the super to stuff steel wool into any crack or crevice. And believe me, a building more than a hundred years old has a lot of cracks and crevices! I had a mouse super highway along one whole wall of exposed brick and broken baseboard. Had that taken out and steel wool stuffed down in the enormous –by mouse standards- space, followed by foam to cement it in. But even that wasn’t enough.

And they’re brazen! They have scuttled across the floor right in front of me in broad daylight. My dog is useless in the battle. Perhaps there’s more Chihuahua and a lot less terrier in him. Terriers are tremendous ratters. I never heard that said about a Chihuahua!

No comments:

Post a Comment