Thursday, August 26

MY NEWEST QUILT




I am always excited when I plan a new quilt! The genesis of this one was a lovely and generous gift card from a friend. She wanted to thank me for helping her get through her nursing school studies by taking care of her poodle (who’s best friend with my dog, so not such great sacrifice.)
With my Hancock Fabrics gift card in my hot little hand, I went to the Hancock’s of Paducah website and began to peruse and choose sale fabrics. I found myself drawn to prints of cream, cocoa and a muted green. Soon I had hatched a plan to create a quilt with that color palette and to give it to my niece and her husband in North Carolina.


Her mother (my sister) tells me that Debbie’s taste runs to taupes and any muted color and that a traditional pattern would be appreciated.


Set on this road, I am not deterred by the startling fact that Hancock Fabrics is not “of Paducah” and quite a separate company! Just a little embarrassing.


Straightened out and committed to this green/tan quilt, I plowed ahead. I went to the Hancock site to select fabrics in the palette for Debbie’s quilt and wound up with a scaled-back but still wonderful selection from Paducah and Fabrics.com and Hawthorne threads. Gorgeous, gorgeous fabrics.


And of course I went into my stash to see what treasures I might unearth. Here’s a selection which depends on the whole mix of all the fabrics I’m bringing together.


As for the pattern, I decided to repeat one that I quite enjoyed and would very much suit this palette. Here it (Boxing Clever) is in bright, bold fabrics. Imagine a more subdued look that will still be beautiful.


My plan is to piece this in long strips and machine quilt it myself, sewing the quilted segments together by machine on the top, hand stitching the back.


1 comment: